Hydro, Oil & Propane - How We Help
We work with many households that are struggling with high hydro bills or who heat with oil or propane and are struggling to make ends meet. We are able to assist these households in a number of different ways:
- Directly assisting households in getting home heating fuel (oil, propane, hydro) through the provision of grants (and, on occasion, interest-free loans);
- Providing information, referral and advocacy support to ensure households have timely access to other services and programs to meet their needs;
- Working with fuel suppliers to offer assistance in securing minimum fuel delivery amounts to ensure households at critical risk of running out of fuel are prioritized for delivery;
- Identifying other longer term or alternative strategies to stabilize housing and promote the household's autonomy using strength-based practices and innovative thinking;
- For households facing a Hydro crisis, we provide information on special rules for low income households, can advocacy and negotiate directly with Hydro One as well as support access to other provincial and local programs.
Ontario Electricity Support Program (OESP) - Hydro Bill Credit
Did you know that there is an Ontario program that provides a monthly credit off your hydro bill if you are a low income household? Heat Bank Haliburton County can help you apply so you can save $35-75 off your hydro EVERY MONTH!
Reducing Energy Consumption (and Saving Money)
Here are some low-cost tips on reducing your energy consumption which can help to save money on your hydro and heating bills.